This Blog's Guiding Maxim:-

"The person who shies at the possibility of increased responsibilities or at the prospect of future uncertainties is hardly worthy of life itself, for life consists of uncertainties, problems and challenges of various types."

Check out the Site:

Under the Same Sun - A site out to fight the cause of the Albinos

Contact Me:

You can contact the blog editor through this e-mail address: (ritchmbuthia at gmail dot com)

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Who will Speak up for US if we don’t Speak up for THEM?

When I look at the albino killings in Tanzania and the attitude of people towards the same (the uncaring attitude exhibited by some of us), I can’t help but think of the sober message in a poem titled FIRST THEY CAME which was written by the prominent German anti-Nazi activist, Pastor Martin Niemöller.

FIRST THEY CAME...

In Germany they came first for the Communists,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics,
And I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
And by that time no one was left to speak up for me.


…I shudder and cringe at the thought of such a situation ever happening TO ME…


My brothers and sisters, speaking up for albinos is our divine responsibility. Another thing, you don’t have to be an albino to speak out.

Taking the government to task and fervently asking why these heinous acts of violence against albinos are being perpetrated under the very 'bulbous' nose of the state, is the first step to much-needed healing.

Something has to give; something's gotta be done!

Well, if we don't speak up for the hurting, shunned, sidelined and…hunted members of our society, who will speak up for us when the perpetrators of this dastardly act come for us.

Food for thought, this.

No comments: